Thread: Joachim Garraud

Joachim Garraud

Let's try to keep this positive...

2. Posted in reply to sixtimes's post "Joachim Garraud" #2
    Lolla God
    was terrific at lollachile. like the way he ads live keyboards to the rhythms and the beats.

3. Posted in reply to nanatod's post starting "was terrific at lollachile. like the..." #3
    His set was great at Lolla 2010 as well. Very excited to see him on the lineup.

4. Posted in reply to sixtimes's post "Joachim Garraud" #4
    does he bring his light show? videos I've seen on youtube are something else.

5. Posted in reply to Caseysitsallgood's post starting "does he bring his light show? videos..." #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseysitsallgood View Post
    does he bring his light show? videos I've seen on youtube are something else.
    I don't think there was much of any light show last year since he played in the afternoon. It was still a great set, but I am hoping for something bigger this year.

6. Posted in reply to larrysellers's post starting "I don't think there was much of any..." #6
    Quote Originally Posted by larrysellers View Post
    I don't think there was much of any light show last year since he played in the afternoon. It was still a great set, but I am hoping for something bigger this year.
    ok. but with a tent this year does this change things?

7. Posted in reply to sixtimes's post "Joachim Garraud" #7
    I thought I'd re-post my Joachim Garraud essay from the Coachella board:

So, I'm not sure if anyone had the misfortune of checking out Joachim Garraud's set, but, it warrants discussion.

I had the pleasure of seeing Mr. Garraud at Lollapalooza 2010 being totally unaware of what a bizarre and misguided attempt at DJ superstardom his set is. Despite that, I still somehow managed to wander into the Sahara this year to find that not much had changed since last August.

You see, my friends, Joachim Garraud simply is trying to do too many things at one time. He's like the Carrot Top of DJing.

Case in point: he plays a keytar during his sets.

Now, it doesn't really add anything to the set or sound. He pretty much plays the same bleeps and bloops that are being played in the tracks in his set. But, it gives him something to do, I suppose. In example, sometimes he plays a much more boring version of the hook from Swedish House Mafia's "One" on it:

Next, he has some sort of alien motif that never really makes sense.
    He hands out these alien masks during his set, which, in my experience, almost always get instantly tossed to the ground.

He never really seems to explain the alien thing. He doesn't appear to claim to be an alien himself or some from outer space. He also relies heavily on Space Invader imagery without any real explanation. He hands out free t-shirts during his set that say "WE LOVE USA" with "LOVE" replaced by a Space Invader. I guess it's funny how it kind of ends up reading like broken English, but again, I'm not really sure what he's going for.

He loves to drop "Sandstorm" in his sets.

Here's another example of his blatant "love me" pandering. "WE LOVE MUSIC"? I mean, who's going to disagree with that? He's really playing it safe here. And, it's not like he dropped "Sandstorm" as like, a wacky one-time Coachella thing. It's a staple of his set. He wants to replace Darude in people's minds when it comes to "Sandstorm."

So, here's this poor bastard, running all over stage, playing his keytar, handing out masks and t-shirts, dropping Sandstorm, professing his love for America and music, and yet, somehow, his sets manage to be overwhelmingly forgettable with some regularity.

If you missed Joachim Garraud, I guess you shouldn't be too bummed about it. He didn't Shpongle anyone or have a glowruption. But he did do one thing that you didn't see any other DJ do all weekend: he wears his douchiness like a badge. Other DJs try to cover it up by doing things like yelling "Make some fucking noooooooooooise" ad nauseum, having girls hula hoop on stage, or collaborating with KoRn. But not Joachim Garraud. He wants you, as an American, to accept him as a douchey DJ.

And I guess, ultimately, it's this attitude that I find refreshing in today's EDM scene.

I'm Malcolm Jamal Awesome, and this has been Joachim Garraud.

8. Posted in reply to sixtimes's post "Joachim Garraud" #8
    Lolla God
    malcolm, he did all or most of those things at his set during lollapalooza Chile, and the crowd ate it up. anyone who could catch a mask immediately put it on. only armin van buuren was better at the lg stage over the two days, and armin didn't do any of those things to interact with the crowd.

9. Posted in reply to sixtimes's post "Joachim Garraud" #9
    He also did all of those things at Lolla 2010.