Page 614 of 622 FirstFirst ... 114514564604612613614615616 ... LastLast
Results 12,261 to 12,280 of 12430

Thread: Post Your Reviews Here

1. Posted in reply to concertgoer's post starting "The Black Madonna was great last night ..." #12261
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    The Black Madonna was great last night
    I never get tired of seeing her
    I thought it was so cool when she mixed in Diamonds On the Soles of Her Shoes, the Paul Simon fanboy in me freaked out a little. Too bad she won't be back for awhile.

2. Posted in reply to st_hubbins's post starting "Since alady asked about the Zombies: ..." #12262
    Vince was also great last night. If his new album is out by Pitchfork Festival I may have to go his day too.

3. Posted in reply to st_hubbins's post starting "Since alady asked about the Zombies: ..." #12263
    Quote Originally Posted by st_hubbins View Post
    Since alady asked about the Zombies:

The band did two sets, the first a mishmash of old and new stuff, and the second "Odessey & Oracle" straight through. The first set was hit or miss, with a lot of great songs split up by some very dad-ish blues rock. But the energy in the crowd was very good throughout the first set, sort of surprising because it was totally geriatric and they were in their seats for most of it. Easily the oldest crowd I've been in. Colin Blunstone's voice sounds fantastic.

After a 20-minute break the Zombies came back for "O&O" and the atmosphere took a pronounced dip. The music sounded great but the crowd was barely there. Don't know if they were just intently listening, or they were casual music fans who missed the earlier set's guitar riffz, or if the olds ran out of steam after 9 p.m. but it was a bummer. This venue is in the middle of nowhere, and a lot of the crowd I think just goes to every show that the venue puts on, so probably the energy will be better in a city. Still a good performance, and I'm glad I saw those songs live.
    Thanks for this! So I can get there late

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by ten15SaturdayNight
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I do like lasers.

Originally Posted by Wyoming
    The one act I like - shit - shit - shit -shit -shit - shit - shit

4. Posted in reply to getrowdy's post "Post Your Reviews Here" #12264
    Lolla God
    matthew mayfield was ok as an opening act thursday at hob. blue october was turrible, very turrible, more turrible than I thought they could be. hob is my least favorite venue in chicago, maybe the world, especially when it's way overcrowded like it was thursday.

pokey lafarge and his band were very, very great friday after work at shenanigans on division street. went so I could miss the 6/16/17 metro show, but now thinking I may have to go and take the better half to see him and his band.
    Greg Nasty: "Did you look at the list of people who would not attend? It's a bunch of losers and nanatod."
    Getrowdy: "Take a walk. Smoke some pot. Dance."
    Zach12: "Sorry Ten15 you are of course invited too."

5. Posted in reply to getrowdy's post "Post Your Reviews Here" #12265
    Vince Staples was a real #Lituation the likes of which are rivaled by almost none.

I really liked Kilo Kish, too, but friends were comparing her to art school shit, which I understand I guess. Still an enjoyable set.

Originally Posted by WretchedSkye2113
    it's like Kpop but in Japan and for people who like to LARP but are lazy

6. Posted in reply to getrowdy's post "Post Your Reviews Here" #12266
    Grabbed a sweet loge seat for less than face from StubHub yesterday for "And Then Yo La Tengo Turned Itself Inside Out". The band was joined by eight improv jazz musicians who added their own layers of noise and texture to a number of YLT standards. The first tune was a new composition and it was an unintelligible mess (the four brass musicians were particularly intrusive). Thought I might not make it through the entire show. But by the time they got to "Let's Save Tony Orlando's House" (the third tune), things were coming together better.

My favorite guest musician was Zeena Parkins playing a home-built electric harp. She had it hooked up to some effects pedals, it has a built-in vibrato bar and in addition to her fingers, she used what appeared to be a steel slide to play the instrument. She added a number of cool, unique sounds.

It was also a blast to see jazz drummer Chad Taylor who I knew in college. He was way too talented for Millikin's music program, so he was only there for a year or two. He transferred to the New School in NYC and then went on to bigger and better things. I haven't seen him for about 22 years and only realized just before the show that he was playing.

Musical highlights for me were "Our Way to Fall" with appropriately delicate improv and "Blue Line Swinger" which was an epic 15- to 20-minute tour de force for Georgia, Chad and the other percussionist, Amy Garapic. Also enjoyed James taking the lead vocals on Sun Ra's "Nuclear War" for an encore.

The show was billed as the world premiere of "And Then Yo La Tengo Turned Itself Inside Out". Perhaps they'll do more of these in the future? I think the performance went right up to the threshold of my personal tolerance for noise improv. I'd say if you're a Yo La Tengo fan, it's certainly worth checking out as long as the ticket prices are reasonable.

P.S. - Town Hall seating is not very comfortable in the loge or the balcony. Haven't been in the main floor seats yet.
    Most (((((Huggable)))))
    2nd Place - 2015 Lollaboard Veterans League

7. Posted in reply to getrowdy's post "Post Your Reviews Here" #12267
    Damn, that's awesome, didn't hear about that show. Blue Line Swinger would have been amazing.

Originally Posted by Andrew_VB
    at first i didn't "understand" reflektor but now i get that it's SpaghettiOs.

8. Posted in reply to getrowdy's post "Post Your Reviews Here" #12268
    Supreme Being
    The Sonics show ruled last night. They said they had just started their tour so if they are coming to your hood definitely go.

Not sure why the bartender decided to give me of free tequila shots though because now im going to die. Really weird situation where even the new songs were really good and got similar reactions to the classics.

9. Posted in reply to getrowdy's post "Post Your Reviews Here" #12269
    Supreme Being
    Lambchop put on one of the best shows I've seen in a long time. Played mostly new songs (and a cover of When You Were Mine) but they were all fantastically composed and performed all pretty and shit.

Kweku Collins was good too he really has upped his MC game and controls the stage shout out to lollapalooza for recognizing that

10. Posted in reply to getrowdy's post "Post Your Reviews Here" #12270
    Regina Spektor was absolutely phenomenal last night. She played one of her Russian songs for the first time in like, 4 years which is awesome. My only complaint is that people who go to the Chicago Theater have to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes, or maybe that was just the people in front of me. Still, there isn't really a bad seat per se. I was in the balcony and could see very well so that was nice. I remember being in the very back row for Sufjan Stevens and being able to see pretty well for that too. Anyways, overall a great show.

11. Posted in reply to zach12's post starting "Lambchop put on one of the best shows..." #12271
    Quote Originally Posted by zach12 View Post
    Kweku Collins was good too he really has upped his MC game and controls the stage shout out to lollapalooza for recognizing that
    Very much enjoyed that set despite missing 99% of Stupid Rose. He has a lot of presence/charisma/all that stuff and really got the Northwestern TAs' heads bobbing.

Originally Posted by ten15SaturdayNight
    I do like lasers.

Originally Posted by Wyoming
    The one act I like - shit - shit - shit -shit -shit - shit - shit

12. Posted in reply to getrowdy's post "Post Your Reviews Here" #12272
    Bryan Ferry is 71, and can't hit the high notes for very long anymore. Several of the songs I was excited for - Slave to Love, More Than This - were played in different keys and didn't sound as good as the recorded versions. Still, he had a solid band backing him up, and some songs - like 'Re-Make/Re-Model' and 'Avalon' - came off sounding great.
    As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart.

13. Posted in reply to getrowdy's post "Post Your Reviews Here" #12273
    Dang. He's playing here Tuesday - still don't have tickets, but it's nowhere near sold out. Will probably be on the fence up until an hour before the show lol.

Originally Posted by WretchedSkye2113
    it's like Kpop but in Japan and for people who like to LARP but are lazy

14. Posted in reply to getrowdy's post "Post Your Reviews Here" #12274
    Our show wasn't sold out either, we bought ours at the door.
    As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart.

15. Posted in reply to getrowdy's post "Post Your Reviews Here" #12275
    Lollaboard Bracket Champion 2012 arbee's Avatar
    Not so much a review, because obviously Chris Stapleton was fucking great last night, but rather an observation. I cannot believe he sold out Rogers Arena. One album...wtf

16. Posted in reply to arbee's post starting "Not so much a review, because obviously..." #12276
    Quote Originally Posted by arbee View Post
    Not so much a review, because obviously Chris Stapleton was fucking great last night, but rather an observation. I cannot believe he sold out Rogers Arena. One album...wtf
    I mean he appeals to both your standard country bro and your standard festival bro and he makes good music too so it's not super surprising to me

I think he also wrote every country bro song ever recorded between 2011-2014 and that probably helps too. I might be making that up. Zach will correct me if I am

Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo
    I have conflicts at a festival with a lineup I hate.

Originally Posted by Greg Nasty
    May this thread rot in hell. Amen.

17. Posted in reply to getrowdy's post "Post Your Reviews Here" #12277
    the word bro is now officially applied more liberally and aimlessly than the word hipster.

and that's coming from a hipsterbro.

Originally Posted by Irving_Red
    Caucasian child with Frank Ocean tattoo calls music festival 'boring.' More at 11.

18. Posted in reply to getrowdy's post "Post Your Reviews Here" #12278
    Give me a different and more appropriate word to ruin then

Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo
    I have conflicts at a festival with a lineup I hate.

Originally Posted by Greg Nasty
    May this thread rot in hell. Amen.

19. Posted in reply to getrowdy's post "Post Your Reviews Here" #12279
    Lollaboard Bracket Champion 2012 arbee's Avatar
    keep in mind Vancouver is about 1/4 the size of Chicago...also tickets were pretty expensive($100 for pit)...

20. Posted in reply to MadBird11's post starting "Give me a different and more..." #12280
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBird11 View Post
    Give me a different and more appropriate word to ruin then
    Semprini?

Originally Posted by Irving_Red
    Caucasian child with Frank Ocean tattoo calls music festival 'boring.' More at 11.