Page 946 of 959 FirstFirst ... 446846896936944945946947948956 ... LastLast
Results 18,901 to 18,920 of 19175

Thread: A Reasonable and Sensible Political Discussion

1. Posted in reply to IAmScareMongering's post starting "Considering he received 25% of the..." #18901
    I think totally is right and that this decision is ultimately not as important as it's being made out to be, but at a time when the Democratic party's elected officials might as well stay home for the next two years, choosing a new party chair is the most symbolic thing they can do to show their way forward, and I'm sorry, but Thomas Edward Perez ain't gettin' it, in my not so humble opinion.
    Agave Maria

2. Posted in reply to xamnamxam's post "A Reasonable and Sensible Political..." #18902
    Supreme Being IAmScareMongering's Avatar
    Well in my humble opinion selecting one of the most progressive members of the Obama org to lead the way forward is a good symbolic path. But if people are going to lose faith if it's anyone but Ellison, that would be unfortunate (but seemingly inevitable at this point).

Funny enough: the supposed "compromise" candidate (Buttigieg) endorsed Hillary during the primary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by zach12
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I THINK THE NEW VERSION IS WORSE THAN THE OTHER VERSION BTU I THINK VIC MENSA IS THE BEST PART OF BOTH VERSIONS AND I THNK JIMMY CARTER SHOULD BE ON THE SONG

3. Posted in reply to xamnamxam's post "A Reasonable and Sensible Political..." #18903
    again, I'm sure he's a fine person and would do well in a vacuum or where it was a matter of informing people of that and it being accepted on its face, but we're pretty far down the rabbit hole of no one believing anything anyone tells them. optics are more important than ever.

I think most people who would be upset by this decision has already "given up" on the Democratic party, but only because they fell the Democratic party has already given up on them. I personally don't trust the Democratic party as far as I can throw them but I understand there's no other practical choice. they still seem to be in the business of trying to help, they're just ineffectual at nearly every turn.
    Agave Maria

4. Posted in reply to Mr. Magoo's post starting "again, I'm sure he's a fine person and..." #18904
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    I personally don't trust the Democratic party as far as I can throw them but I understand there's no other practical choice.
    as an aside, this is why I got so pissed at Tim a couple weeks ago, and Tim, if you're reading this, I wonder how well you think you and the country would be served, if say, you voted for some fourth party candidate instead of chuck Schumer the next time he comes up and he loses to some Goldman Sachs exec. support progressives in a primary, but goddamn, suck it up and vote for the Dem when the time comes for the sake of the children. won't someone please think of the children. James Taylor stop singing about prostitutes to the children.
    Agave Maria

5. Posted in reply to Mr. Magoo's post starting "Bernie harmed himself irreparably by..." #18905
    Hillary ran because of a perceived manifest destiny.
    That doesn't mean what you think it means.

She committed a lifetime to public service, and the idea that she only ran because she wanted more power or because "she thought she deserved to be president" is outrageous and sexist.

6. Posted in reply to xamnamxam's post "A Reasonable and Sensible Political..." #18906
    i think that's a generous reading of the mindset of a lot of people who seek higher office

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
    I am a peaceful poster so don't troll me.

7. Posted in reply to dij22's post starting "That doesn't mean what you think it..." #18907
    Quote Originally Posted by dij22 View Post
    That doesn't mean what you think it means.

She committed a lifetime to public service, and the idea that she only ran because she wanted more power or because "she thought she deserved to be president" is outrageous and sexist.
    it's nothing of the sort. at what point did she make the case that she was the one person who could do the job that needed to be done? she didn't. Bernie did. trump did too, although he made his case to people with a fundamentally different idea of what needs to be done.
    Agave Maria

8. Posted in reply to xamnamxam's post "A Reasonable and Sensible Political..." #18908
    Oh fuck all of that.
    Pray for me/Iím about to hit the Ye button

9. Posted in reply to xamnamxam's post "A Reasonable and Sensible Political..." #18909
    what new idea did she offer?
    Agave Maria

10. Posted in reply to xamnamxam's post "A Reasonable and Sensible Political..." #18910
    I imagine that being a trump cabinet member feels similar to being inside one of those glass boxes with money flying around everywhere. Just frantically grabbing whatever you can before the time runs out.

And re: magoo

as I understood it, her selling points were that she would extend obama's agenda 4 more years, she was well-qualified, and she was a female. none of which really spoke to the issues that were important to voters on either side. Well except republicans hate women.
    "eat shit- 20 trillion flies can't be wrong!"

11. Posted in reply to scoots's post starting "Oh fuck all of that." #18911
    Quote Originally Posted by scoots View Post
    Oh fuck all of that.

Originally Posted by ten15SaturdayNight
    I do like lasers.

Originally Posted by Wyoming
    The one act I like - shit - shit - shit -shit -shit - shit - shit

12. Posted in reply to xamnamxam's post "A Reasonable and Sensible Political..." #18912
    There's a quote from the west wing that I think is relevant. Josh is flashing back to then-Senator Hoynes campaign planning sessions and Josh says,"I don't know what we're for or what we're against except we seem to be for winning and against anyone else winning." I respect hillary clinton for the work she put in, truly, but noting the shortfalls of her campaign isn't an insult to her personally, or her gender for that matter. There are maybe a half dozen people in American history to get as close as she did, but the reality of the situation is that it should never h Ave been as close as it was.

To byrones point, she stuck to Obama agenda so strictly her campaign even continued his tradition of poorly explaining how her ideas advance the American people.
    Agave Maria

13. Posted in reply to xamnamxam's post "A Reasonable and Sensible Political..." #18913
    There's an alternate universe where Clinton won the primary and the presidency in 2008. I'd like to be in that alternate universe, honestly. We're not, and the reality were faced with is one where the most viable female presidential candidate in American history lost, and learning the lessons of that loss is the only way to move on from it. 'People are mysoginist' isn't enough.
    Agave Maria

14. Posted in reply to xamnamxam's post "A Reasonable and Sensible Political..." #18914

Originally Posted by Andrew_VB
    at first i didn't "understand" reflektor but now i get that it's SpaghettiOs.

15. Posted in reply to Mr. Magoo's post starting "There's an alternate universe where..." #18915
    There's an alternate universe where Clinton won the primary and the presidency in 2008. I'd like to be in that alternate universe, honestly. We're not, and the reality were faced with is one where the most viable female presidential candidate in American history lost, and learning the lessons of that loss is the only way to move on from it. 'People are mysoginist' isn't enough.
    Yeah, but misogyny is a big part of it. It's fucked up to me that a guy who says and does the things that Trump said and did and gets caught in the act more often than not was just slightly more hated than Hillary Clinton.

16. Posted in reply to xamnamxam's post "A Reasonable and Sensible Political..." #18916
    3 million voting Americans said otherwise though*

*Yes I know that's not the point, but it is important to remember

Originally Posted by alady
    What is with edm and helmets/masks/giant anthropomorphic marshmallows

Originally Posted by Greg Nasty
    May this thread rot in hell. Amen.

17. Posted in reply to xamnamxam's post "A Reasonable and Sensible Political..." #18917
    I do genuinely believe that a segment of the country was looking for any reason not to vote for Hillary Clinton on election day. And not many people are going to come straight out and say "it's because she's a woman," but that was a big part of it.

18. Posted in reply to scoots's post starting "Yeah, but misogyny is a big part of it...." #18918
    Yeah, but misogyny is a big part of it. It's fucked up to me that a guy who says and does the things that Trump said and did and gets caught in the act more often than not was just slightly more hated than Hillary Clinton.
    totally understand, it's maddening, but the conversation can't end there. Things could have been done to overcome that and they weren't. Michigan was lost by 10,000 votes. at that point it's a turnout issue, and all the points I'm trying to make are in the vein of 'if complacency hadn't set in we wouldn't be here. I believe that Bernie wouldn't have been complacent and that's the conclusion to my answer to IASM's question.
    Agave Maria

19. Posted in reply to scoots's post starting "I do genuinely believe that a segment..." #18919
    I do genuinely believe that a segment of the country was looking for any reason not to vote for Hillary Clinton on election day. And not many people are going to come straight out and say "it's because she's a woman," but that was a big part of it.
    Youre talking the tiniest of segments right?
    Official Lollaboard Bull

20. Posted in reply to xamnamxam's post "A Reasonable and Sensible Political..." #18920
    I have it broken down like this:

1/4 misogyny
    1/4 whitelash against the black guy who actually did a good job running this joint
    1/4 media for constantly equating the emails with all of the well-documented problematic shit that Trump pulls/still pulls/will continue to pull
    1/4 Democratic party incompetence

Not a great landscape to be working with in 2017

Originally Posted by alady
    What is with edm and helmets/masks/giant anthropomorphic marshmallows

Originally Posted by Greg Nasty
    May this thread rot in hell. Amen.