Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotels : Where to stay?

1. Posted in reply to TheCountofMonteDisco's post "Hotels : Where to stay?" #521
    Lolla Veteran
    I booked a place on VRBO last year and it was the worst mistake I ever made. You have NO RECOURSE. She told me 4 months after I put >$1k down that she was canceling my agreement. I didn't even get all my money back.

2. Posted in reply to TheCountofMonteDisco's post "Hotels : Where to stay?" #522
    Lolla Fan
    my friends from Pittsburgh just booked the 4-star Sutton Place on Rush St. for 180/night using the priceline negotiator

3. Posted in reply to ForYourLungsOnly's post starting "my friends from Pittsburgh just booked..." #523
    I'm looking for a cheaper place to stay where they won't mind a lot of noise, can hang out with ppl etc and preferably with a pool.

Any suggestions? I've never been to Lolla before so I'm not sure if there are places to park if we drive there, if there is then preferably less than a 15 minute drive.

4. Posted in reply to TheCountofMonteDisco's post "Hotels : Where to stay?" #524
    There are places to park, but you have to pay. And it's not cheap. You can park on the North side fairly easy, but you still have to get downtown. For what you're looking for, you're better off staying near O'Hare and taking the train in.
    Life is life. There are ups and downs. They will give an eight-year-old the best pumpkin at any given time and you just have to be prepared for these types of things.

5. Posted in reply to Hurricane Kid's post starting "I booked a place on VRBO last year and..." #525
    Supreme Being
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Kid View Post
    I didn't even get all my money back.
    How come?

6. Posted in reply to TheCountofMonteDisco's post "Hotels : Where to stay?" #526
    Lolla Veteran
    She withheld for "fees". To be honest I'm counting my lucky stars I got the bulk of it back. I reserved it more than 90 days in advance so I couldn't dispute via credit card and would have had to take her to court to recoup had she not given it back. Taking someone to court in another state isn't altogether enticing. I almost did anyhow as it was clear breach of contract. But it would have been hard to prove damages and when I found other suitable arrangements I just dropped it all.

There is literally NO RECOURSE should the other person pull a "bait and switch" or worse. It was clear she just found someone willing to pay a lot more. But there really wasn't anything I could do. Which is why I spoke out against it in the first place.

7. Posted in reply to TheCountofMonteDisco's post "Hotels : Where to stay?" #527
    FWIW, I've booked lodging with vrbo, homeaway, and airbnb numerous times over the years and never had a problem. I would recommend it to anyone - looks like there are a few nice properties available within the city.

Would be curious to see that rental agreement, Hurricane.
    mind of a bear

8. Posted in reply to TheCountofMonteDisco's post "Hotels : Where to stay?" #528
    i finally decided to look at this thread last night...got overwhelmed....booked a room at the Congress. Stayed there in 06 and it wasn't too bad. did the allegro last year and pretty much loathed the walk, so booking purely for proximity reasons this year.
    Sharon Van Etten 4/19, the Drums 4/21, Sweetlife Festival 4/28
    Father John Misty 5/20, Radiohead 6/1 & 6/13, Governers Ball 6/23-6/24, Refused 7/16
    Firefly Festival 7/20-7/22, LOLLAPALOOZA 8/3-8/5!

9. Posted in reply to alady's post starting "FWIW, I've booked lodging with vrbo,..." #529
    Lolla Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by alady View Post
    FWIW, I've booked lodging with vrbo, homeaway, and airbnb numerous times over the years and never had a problem. I would recommend it to anyone - looks like there are a few nice properties available within the city.

Would be curious to see that rental agreement, Hurricane.
    I still have it. I'd rather not post it as my name is all over it and I like to keep anon online. But I would be happy to give you any details you want. I was one of the first people she signed an agreement with and she gave me everything but the kitchen sink (added it to the written agreement and everything) and eventually I think she recognized she could just rent it out to someone else for more and not have to deal with supplying the extras. So be it if it leaves me holding the bag; there isn't much of a threat that I could do anything about it.

10. Posted in reply to TheCountofMonteDisco's post "Hotels : Where to stay?" #530
    Depending on the terms someone could have written her a scary lawyer letter.
    mind of a bear

11. Posted in reply to Caseysitsallgood's post starting "would love to stay near Grant Park if..." #531
    Staying on the Magnificent mile in the Marriott, any idea on how strict they are/the ease of having more than 4 people in a room?

12. Posted in reply to alady's post starting "Depending on the terms someone could..." #532
    Lolla Veteran
    Depending on the terms someone could have written her a scary lawyer letter.
    I have lawyers in the family. I sent her a letter and she didn't respond. She had clearly rebooked it and I wasn't going to get the space. So it was a matter of proving damages. I was firmly told to drop it. There was no way to come out ahead. I almost sent some aggressive letters to the HOA as she had told me she was having all kinds of trouble with them. But that would have been done out of spite and opened myself up to legal exposure.

13. Posted in reply to Alynatrill's post starting "I'm looking for a cheaper place to stay..." #533
    Quote Originally Posted by Alynatrill View Post
    I'm looking for a cheaper place to stay where they won't mind a lot of noise, can hang out with ppl etc and preferably with a pool.

Any suggestions? I've never been to Lolla before so I'm not sure if there are places to park if we drive there, if there is then preferably less than a 15 minute drive.
    This again, but I forgot to add some details. We'll have 5 (maybe 4) people, we might get 2 rooms but we'd prefer if we could just crash in 1 room. Also, after reading some of your comments I'd prefer to walk/cheap transportation there.

Any specific hotel recommendations? Thanks

14. Posted in reply to Hurricane Kid's post starting "I have lawyers in the family. I sent..." #534
    I have lawyers in the family. I sent her a letter and she didn't respond. She had clearly rebooked it and I wasn't going to get the space. So it was a matter of proving damages. I was firmly told to drop it. There was no way to come out ahead. I almost sent some aggressive letters to the HOA as she had told me she was having all kinds of trouble with them. But that would have been done out of spite and opened myself up to legal exposure.
    surely her keeping your money and you having to find alternative accommodation is damages?

15. Posted in reply to TheCountofMonteDisco's post "Hotels : Where to stay?" #535
    Lolla Veteran
    She kept a small amount. I got almost all of it back.

Have you ever tried to sue someone in another state? The filing fees, the time off work, travel, hotels, paying a lawyer, etc would have been significantly more than I ever could have hoped to recoup.

Just google VRBO nightmares or something similar. Stuff like this happens all the time.

16. Posted in reply to Fifi Ireland's post starting "surely her keeping your money and you..." #536
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifi Ireland View Post
    surely her keeping your money and you having to find alternative accommodation is damages?
    The fact that he was able to find comparable accommodations mitigated the damages he could have claimed. My guess is that there was a clause in the contract that allowed her to keep a portion of the deposit as a booking fee.

Sorry you had a bad experience Hurricane. Lots of folks have had good ones, though - a couple years back a group of boardies rented a place overlooking Grant Park that was awesome.
    mind of a bear

17. Posted in reply to Hurricane Kid's post starting "She kept a small amount. I got almost..." #537
    Lolla God
    Have you ever tried to sue someone in another state?
    I've represented clients in court in Illinois and Wisconsin on the same day.
    I've represented clients in court in Indiana and Illinois on the same day.
    Nature boy: "Who knew that nana hated Donna Summer so much? Not me."
    Greg Nasty: "Did you look at the list of people who would not attend? It's a bunch of losers and nanatod."
    Wretched: "Someone explain it to scotty again in even more unnecessary depth."

18. Posted in reply to alady's post starting "The fact that he was able to find..." #538
    Lolla Veteran
    The fact that he was able to find comparable accommodations mitigated the damages he could have claimed. My guess is that there was a clause in the contract that allowed her to keep a portion of the deposit as a booking fee.

Sorry you had a bad experience Hurricane. Lots of folks have had good ones, though - a couple years back a group of boardies rented a place overlooking Grant Park that was awesome.
    They certainly weren't comparable. I had a suite booked and ready to go that would have been as close to "comparable" as it could get in case I followed through with a suit but even then I would only have paid a few hundred $$ more than I had agreed to pay (for 1200sq ft rather than 1900 though).

No, a portion of my deposit was done through Paypal. She charged an extra 3% on those funds. She should have just refunded via paypal and she wouldn't have had to pay fees on the funds. Instead she just sent back the funds that she "received". Since she cancelled the booking (against the written accord) I was confident she would have had to make me whole. But again, I think it was only $20 or something and not worth fighting.

19. Posted in reply to nanatod's post starting "I've represented clients in court in..." #539
    Lolla Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by nanatod View Post
    I've represented clients in court in Illinois and Wisconsin on the same day.
    I've represented clients in court in Indiana and Illinois on the same day.
    Did you charge for drive time?

(I know the answer)

20. Posted in reply to Hurricane Kid's post starting "Did you charge for drive time? (I..." #540
    Lolla God
    Did you charge for drive time?

(I know the answer)
    I don't think you know the answer.

for the illinois / wisconsin day, the answer is no, because both cases were flat fee cases (criminal case prior to plea / chapter 7 bankruptcy).
    for the indiana / illinois day, the answer is probably no. the indiana case was a flat fee case (chapter 7 bankruptcy), and I don't remember what the illinois case was, but it was downtown, so the client of the firm where I then worked most likely just got billed the standard rate for court time.
    Nature boy: "Who knew that nana hated Donna Summer so much? Not me."
    Greg Nasty: "Did you look at the list of people who would not attend? It's a bunch of losers and nanatod."
    Wretched: "Someone explain it to scotty again in even more unnecessary depth."