Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Album of the Week - Discussion (no nominations)

Album of the Week - Discussion (no nominations)

Album of the Week thread is here for the album discussion for that week. If you want to nominate an album, view the rules, etc. - go here: http://theboard.lollapalooza.com/sho...day-nom-thread

The AOTW is posted almost every Monday and you have all week to listen to the album and discuss it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by MookieDaddy
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Let me make sure I click on "cocaineblunts.com" before I leave work today...

2. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #2

The Feelies - Crazy Rhythms

Crazy Rhythms is the debut studio album by American rock band The Feelies. It was released in April 1980, through record label Stiff. Its fusion of post-punk and jangle pop was influential on the forthcoming alternative rock genre, with R.E.M. among others citing the album as an influence. Although it was not commercially successful initially, it has remained critically lauded in the decades since its release.

Personnel

Anton Fier – drums, tom-toms, pipe, cowbell (except on "Paint It Black")
    Stanley Demeski – drums on "Paint It Black"
    Glenn Mercer – lead, rhythm, 12-string and bowed guitars; vocals; keyboards; temple block; shaker; claves; maracas; bell; castanets; reverbed sticks; shoes; drums; coat rack
    Bill Million – lead, rhythm, and acoustic guitars; vocals; timbales; sandpaper; claves; can; tom-tom; snare; cowbell; shaker; shoes, temple blocks; tambourine; boxes; and bells
    Keith De Nunzio – bass guitar, snare drum, tom-toms, wood block, pipe, bell, and background vocals (except on "Paint It Black")
    Brenda Sauter – bass guitar, background vocals on "Paint It Black"
    Dave Weckerman – percussion on "Paint It Black"

Reviews:

Pitchfork: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...he-good-earth/
    AV Club: http://www.avclub.com/review/the-fee...-earthem-32794
    AllMusic: http://www.allmusic.com/album/crazy-...s-mw0000189951
    Sputnik: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/5...Crazy-Rhythms/

3. Posted in reply to TimA's post starting "http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500..." #3
    Admittedly, recorded 10 years after the album without Fier or De Nunzio, but here is the Paint It Black cover mentioned in the personnel notes.

SEGALL/MOOTHART 2016

Originally Posted by Irving_Red
    You're right. Someone COULD murder Thissy, drive it to Chicago, and throw his flaccid corpse over the gates of Riot Fest. In that scenario you are correct, Thissy could be seen dead at Riot Fest.

Originally Posted by Byrone
    Dude shut the fuck up about jackets all of you

4. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #4
    Back in 2007 I hit a crossroads and had to decide to stay in the town that I lived in, move to Wichita, Lawrence, or move home with my family. Lawrence was the only option in my head b/c I had just graduated college and instead of moving to Wichita and be surrounded by lots of familiarity and tons of friends, I wanted something new. So I moved to Lawrence. For those of you who don't know, Lawrence is basically the only "blue" part of Kansas. KC is fairly liberal, but Lawrence is almost entirely (like 98%) liberal. It was a good idea, b/c not only did it help me get on to my career path, it also opened me up to so much different music.

Prior to that move, I had only a few mainstays - Radiohead (always), The Kinks, Tool/APC, Weezer, Deftones, The White Stripes, Pinback, and the Arctic Monkeys, as well as a bunch of mainstream shit. Moving to Lawrence exposed me to a lot of different music. I'd go to shows almost every night, and in between drinking craft beer (back in college, in a small town, we didn't know what "craft beer" was, it's the midwest yo) at Free State, and rummaging through the used CD collection at the Love Garden, I started to really develop my taste in music - whether that's a positive to you or not isn't up for debate. Over the years the Love Garden introduced me to Deerhunter, Television, No Age, Fugazi, Sonic Youth, Fleet Foxes, Modest Mouse, The Shins, My Bloody Valentine, Ride, the Velvet Underground... and so many more. I'd some of those before, but striking up conversation at a record store and having someone recommend an album to you, and you take it home and blast it, is totally different experience. Imagine the first time you heard your favorite band. It was pretty incredible. Now imagine discovering all of them at the same time.

My buddy Travis gave me Crazy Rhythms, on CD-R. I listened to it once, and coastered it. Didn't strike me as all that unique. It wasn't until a few years later that I decide to give it another shot, so around 2010 or 2011. Headphones on, I blasted it and fell in love with the guitar work. It was a gateway into more post-punk that I'd delve into quite a bit after and become a fan of the genre.

My favorite tracks on CR would be Lovless Love, Forces at Work, Original Love, and Moscow Nights, the latter of which is probably my favorite track by them. At only 9 tracks it seems to be a short album, but it feels like it lasts for a long time in my head. The Beatles cover is good, and offers some fun to it, but it's probably my least favorite track on the album. I'd be okay with it being left off the album entirely, but I understand it's purpose and placement on the album. The rest of the album is classic post-punk at it's best. Many tracks start out low and escalate, and when they escalate they don't let up. If a timeline was done, you could see how this album, definitely their best album, influenced so many other acts from R.E.M. to even Deerhunter.

As far as it's placement on my top albums of all time, it would crack the top 50 for sure. It's an album that despite being 30 years old, I still revisit often. It's awesome to see that they're still going strong too, with their recent album being one of my favorites of 2017. One of my top 5 acts to check out at P4K.

if you've never listened to this album, I'd recommend it, if you like post-punk mixed with pop.

tldr: I like this album.

5. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #5
    tim, i wish i could've talked with you more in k.c. - a slap on the back with your mouth full of pizza wasn't long enough!

6. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #6
    I stumbled across this album sometime last year on a Discover Weekly playlist, and wondered how I had never heard it before. It combines so many distinct traits I love that I don't typically come across in one band/genre. Apropos to the title track, (and really The Boy with the Perpetual Nervousness as well) the drums, and all percussion really, are what keep this feeling so vital. It's frenetic, precise, and you can tell that's the section that drives each track. I'd say instrument, but that'd be a slight to the variety they use: Mercer is credited with a coat rack.

Fa ce-La and Everybody's Got Something are the low points, but I can see they're there to break up the album a little, and neither track is strictly speaking bad. Their lack would probably make the album feel even more tense and wound up, but again, that's why I love the record. It's excellent at that slow build that you don't really notice unless you're explicitly listening to it. I'd say that's why my favorite tracks tend towards the lead off, and the 6 minute plus ones. They're relentless, and their almost drone-like minimalism makes each instrument stand out when it should. That said, Raised Eyebrows has such a...I guess, happy tone and melody in relation to the rest of the album, that I can't help but smile at that one.

The rest of their discography is very enjoyable, but a fairly significant departure from this sound, unfortunately, and I wish I could see the alternate universe sequel to this album.

Also, it's amazing how Weezer took the album art, and made it so much worse.
    SEGALL/MOOTHART 2016

You're right. Someone COULD murder Thissy, drive it to Chicago, and throw his flaccid corpse over the gates of Riot Fest. In that scenario you are correct, Thissy could be seen dead at Riot Fest.

7. Posted in reply to borracho's post starting "tim, i wish i could've talked with you..." #7
    Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    tim, i wish i could've talked with you more in k.c. - a slap on the back with your mouth full of pizza wasn't long enough!
    That night was so crazy. I wanted to go out with everyone after but we were all exhausted. Let me know the next time you're in the area and we'll do something.

8. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #8
    crazy rhythms is great. tough week for it to be album of the week, but hopefully people will check it out given that they are playing pitchfork fest this summer.

Originally Posted by ten15SaturdayNight
    some good rapping (especially from Thomas Jefferson)

Originally Posted by zach12
    oh great top of the page

9. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #9
    one of my favorite records
    If Im going to be in the paper, Id at least like them to say I actually made it, even though I got in trouble and everything.

10. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #10
    Listening to it for the first time this morning.

Caucasian child with Frank Ocean tattoo calls music festival 'boring.' More at 11.

11. Posted in reply to xamnamxam's post starting "I stumbled across this album sometime..." #11
    It wasn't a straight-through listen but it was also my first time spinning this.

Felt kinda-sorta in the same vein as Tortoise for me. Lots of good instrumentation, and it definitely wasn't boring, but I can't say it's something I see myself going back to all that often. I did add "The Boy with the Perpetual Nervousness" and "Loveless Love" to my giant playlist though, so we'll see. Definitely appreciate the recommendation, was planning to check them out at Pitchfork regardless but it's nice to know a couple songs they've done going into it now.

Quote Originally Posted by xamnamxam View Post

Also, it's amazing how Weezer took the album art, and made it so much worse.
    Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that

Originally Posted by alady
    What is with edm and helmets/masks/giant anthropomorphic marshmallows

Originally Posted by Greg Nasty
    May this thread rot in hell. Amen.

12. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #12
    I listened to this the first time when the P4k lineup dropped and again today. It's right up my alley and I think it's going to become one of my favorite records. It reminds of everything I love about early Heads, Television and the Wrens.

I probably could/should dedicate more words to it, but essentially I love the album and think it's a shame that it's not more widely recognized for how influential it is.
    On a fast track to half sane.

13. Posted in reply to teekoh's post starting "I listened to this the first time when..." #13
    Just listened to this for the first time. It wasn't bad I guess, but I got tired really quickly of only two chords per song.

14. Posted in reply to teekoh's post starting "I listened to this the first time when..." #14
    Quote Originally Posted by teekoh View Post
    I listened to this the first time when the P4k lineup dropped and again today. It's right up my alley and I think it's going to become one of my favorite records. It reminds of everything I love about early Heads, Television and the Wrens.
    As someone who isn't fond of TH, I think this album is most everything I like about them minus everything I don't.
    SEGALL/MOOTHART 2016

15. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #15
    Week of 4/17 - 4/22

The Wipers - Land of the Lost (nominated by TimA)

Land of the Lost is the fourth studio album by punk rock band Wipers, released by Restless/Enigma in 1986 on LP, CD and cassette. The record remains highly sought after and collectable. It was later reissued on CDR on frontman Greg Sage's own Zeno Records, and by German label Gift of Life in 1991.

Released: 1986
    Recorded: 1986
    Genre: Punk rock
    Length: 33:54
    Label: Restless/Enigma
    Producer: Greg Sage

Personnel
    Greg Sage – vocals, guitar, harp; producer; recorded by Greg Sage
    Brad Davidson – bass guitar
    Steve Plouf – drums
    Chris Newman - cover art

1. "Just a Dream Away" - 3:16
    2. "Way of Love" - 2:11
    3. "Let Me Know" - 3:03
    4. "Fair Weather Friends" - 3:16
    5. "Land of the Lost" - 4:48
    6. "Nothing Left to Lose" - 4:51
    7. "The Search" - 4:16
    8. "Different Ways" - 4:32
    9. "Just Say" - 3:39

Reviews:

Alltime-Records.com: http://www.alltime-records.com/01-al...03/0003195.php
    Mark Prindle: http://www.markprindle.com/wipers.htm#land
    Sputnik: 3.7/5

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/7HYqUgIZ0h7cI8LlMqSqT8

I can [] it as well.

New Release - nominated by ua, seconded by TimA, thirded by Wyoming.

Future Islands - The Far Field

The Far Field is the fifth studio album by American synthpop band Future Islands, released on April 7, 2017 through 4AD. Several parallels can be made between this studio album and the band's third studio album, In Evening Air: both are titled after the final volume of poetry by Theodore Roethke, and both have album art produced by former band member Kymia Nawabi.

1. "Aladdin" 4:13
    2. "Time On Her Side" 3:39
    3. "Ran" 3:26
    4. "Beauty of the Road" 4:09
    5. "Cave" 3:52
    6. "Through the Roses" 3:15
    7. "North Star" 3:35
    8. "Ancient Water" 3:56
    9. "Candles" 3:57
    10. "Day Glow Fire" 3:49
    11. "Shadows" (featuring Debbie Harry) 4:05
    12. "Black Rose" 3:25

Total length: 45:14

Reviews:

P4K: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...the-far-field/
    Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/music/the-...future-islands
    Stereogum: http://www.stereogum.com/1933139/alb...m-of-the-week/
    Last edited by TimA; 04-18-2017 at 08:56 AM.

16. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #16
    smh

Originally Posted by Andrew_VB
    at first i didn't "understand" reflektor but now i get that it's SpaghettiOs.

17. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #17
    C'mon now.

18. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #18

Bringing in "board darling", Slothrust, for discussion.
    This song off the album is one of my favorites:

Wyoming, I think you'd really dig Slothrust. Just saying...
    11/9 - Nicolas Jaar | 11/14 - Seu Jorge Life Aquatic Sessions

19. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #19
    Guys, wrong thread for all of this. Can we please keep it in the right spot?
    SEGALL/MOOTHART 2016

20. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #20
    I just finished listening to Land of the Lost and it was my first time listening to the Wipers at all. I know absolutely nothing about them.

For me the album is really carried by dude's vocal performance as there isn't a ton in the music itself that tries to grab you other than the odd guitar solos. On some tracks ("Let Me Know", "Nothing Left To Lose"), it works to great effect. Through most of the album, though, I found myself losing interest and focus. I imagine that in 1986 the heaviness of the guitars may have been enough of an edge to have this record stand out, but it didn't do much for me.

I might go back and pay attention to his writing and see if there was anything I missed, but I don't feel overly compelled to do so. Their brand of punk and the bands that they inspired have never been my favorites.