Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album of the Week - Discussion (no nominations)

1. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #21
    I can appreciate that it's not your type of music. The main reason I chose this Wipers album and not any of their critically lauded albums (basically the first three) is b/c I feel this one is their most accessible, and very underrated. Just a Dream Away, Land of the Lost, and Nothing Left to Lose are top Wipers tracks for me.

Earlier material will be less hooky, but still very good. Glad you liked some of it though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by MookieDaddy
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Let me make sure I click on "cocaineblunts.com" before I leave work today...

2. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #22
    i really like this album and have listened to it a lot before you nom'd it

as tim said, this is def not one of the more popular wipers albums but it still rules - good hooks, solid guitar sound

fave tracks are def "just a dream away", "let me know", and "the search"
    Last edited by goodson; 04-18-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Originally Posted by Greg Nasty
    What's the street date on that Whopperrito?

3. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #23
    Going back to The Feelies album... I had never listened to them before this, despite hearing the name for a long time. It was alright for me, didn't do a whole lot. They've influenced a ton of bands since the album came out, and those have meant more to me than this album does.

Speaking of which, I found it very ironic that the boards biggest anti-Yo La Tengo guy picked an album by a band that highly influenced them...

Originally Posted by Andrew_VB
    at first i didn't "understand" reflektor but now i get that it's SpaghettiOs.

4. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #24
    Where the buffalo roamed until we killed them all
    The Wipers album was interesting. Despite being from the era that was most influential for me, I had never listened to them. It was mostly good, "Just A Dream Away" is a great song. Only "complaint" would be that it sounds like it came from that specific time period and so felt a little dated to me. But overall, thumbs up.

5. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #25
    Glad you liked it! It gets cast aside a lot, and I think what turns most people away from it is the fact that it doesn't sound like the 3 immaculate Wipers records. imo, the Wipers have 4 classic albums, with this being the last one. I don't know if it was Greg Sage attempting to crossover into the mainstream, or if he just wanted to write an album with bit more hooks to it.

And I agree, its very of its time, mid-80s sound, and another record that I feel is similar to that (not necessarily in sound) would be Swans "Filth" just full of dirty, grungey, post-punk chords and arrangements.

If any non-Wipers fans are interested in their 3 revered albums, they are on Spotify under Wipers, not The Wipers like this is.

6. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #26
    Similarly to wyoming, I had never listened to them either. It really does have the sound of the times thing down, but I like that sound, so I am cool with it. I feel like the "sameness" of the record was not totally successful for me - it all ran together, which was maybe the point? "Just a Dream Away" was my favorite track. Overall, a solid 'B'.

Just finished it and am starting at the beginning of their discography and am really enjoying Is This Real? just 2 tracks in. More in my wheelhouse.

Originally Posted by alady
    I saw the Avett Brothers at the airport yesterday but did not say hello.

7. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #27
    Yeah the first 3 are all excellent. I'd recommend them to any punk fan. If I absolutely had to rank them it would be:

Is This Real?
    Land of the Lost
    Over the Edge
    Youth of America

That's not to say that YoA is bad, I just find it shorter. Tho the title track is wickedly good.

8. Posted in reply to TimA's post starting "Week of 4/17 - 4/22 The Wipers -..." #28
    Quote Originally Posted by TimA View Post
    Enjoyable listen, but I realized I was really just waiting for the vocals to get out of the way of the guitar every time. It was fine on the upbeat numbers, but the title track was a pretty unrewarding slog for a 30 second solo. I'd say the stand-out tracks for me were Way of Love and Fair Weather Friend
    SEGALL/MOOTHART 2016

Originally Posted by Irving_Red
    You're right. Someone COULD murder Thissy, drive it to Chicago, and throw his flaccid corpse over the gates of Riot Fest. In that scenario you are correct, Thissy could be seen dead at Riot Fest.

Originally Posted by Byrone
    Dude shut the fuck up about jackets all of you

9. Posted in reply to ua's post starting "http://www.imposemagazine.com/wp-content..." #29
    Quote Originally Posted by ua View Post
    Wyoming, I think you'd really dig Slothrust. Just saying...
    So, is the name of this band pronounced like "Slow Thrust" or "Sloth Rust"?

I saw the Avett Brothers at the airport yesterday but did not say hello.

10. Posted in reply to ten15SaturdayNight's post starting "So, is the name of this band pronounced..." #30
    Quote Originally Posted by ten15SaturdayNight View Post
    So, is the name of this band pronounced like "Slow Thrust" or "Sloth Rust"?
    11/9 - Nicolas Jaar | 11/14 - Seu Jorge Life Aquatic Sessions

11. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #31
    As a sign of good faith towards TimA I've deleted my posts in this thread, even though I stand by them being in (ill-conceived) good fun. Anyway, carry on.

12. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #32
    ive actually never listened to this specific wipers album, but it sounds pretty good.

not to quasi-hijack the album of the week discussion thread, but i'd encourage anyone who kind of liked it to check out youth of america which rules.

Originally Posted by ten15SaturdayNight
    some good rapping (especially from Thomas Jefferson)

Originally Posted by zach12
    oh great top of the page

13. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #33
    Just finished Future Islands. I'm not a fan of this band by any means. When Seasons came out, I listened to it and it was okay, never really struck a chord with me. I've occasionally gone back to the album but it just never resonated with me.

It's the same with this one. I don't know if it's that there are so many bands out there with a similar sound, or if it's just not my kind of music. I will say that a few tracks did stand out - Cave and Ran, which I believe were the singles off the album. It's not a terrible album, I didn't find myself skipping anything. I just don't see myself going back to it.

14. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #34
    Where the buffalo roamed until we killed them all
    Tim's views pretty much sum up my feelings about FI as well. I like certain singles so their songs end up on playlists but I almost never go back to the albums.

15. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #35
    I gave the Wipers a shot, didn't do much for me though. Just kind of all sounded the same after a while, and yeah, definitely stuck in that 80's sound. Oh well.

I've listened to the new Future Islands a few times in the past few weeks. I've been a fan since the In Evening Air/On the Water days, and unfortunately at this point, their albums are becoming very predictable for me at this point. I think I like this new one better than Singles, but only one or two songs really stand out (I mostly listen in my car, so I'm not even sure of the song titles unfortunately)... I'll still be listening to this plenty this year, it'll probably end up on my top 50 albums of the year, but it's not an extraordinary album or anything.

Originally Posted by Andrew_VB
    at first i didn't "understand" reflektor but now i get that it's SpaghettiOs.

16. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #36
    So am I supposed to listen to the new Future Islands and something else today? Help a dude out

What is with edm and helmets/masks/giant anthropomorphic marshmallows

May this thread rot in hell. Amen.

17. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #37
    yeah, future island and wipers-land of the lost.

in the future you can listen to the two albums across the whole week

Originally Posted by ten15SaturdayNight
    some good rapping (especially from Thomas Jefferson)

Originally Posted by zach12
    oh great top of the page

18. Posted in reply to Andrew_VB's post starting "yeah, future island and wipers-land of..." #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_VB View Post
    yeah, future island and wipers-land of the lost.

in the future you can listen to the two albums across the whole week
    I'm glad we've got 2 albums here because I had no idea what I wanted to listen to this morning.

Thanks Tim for putting this together and everyone else for spinning me in the right direction as always

19. Posted in reply to MadBird11's post starting "I'm glad we've got 2 albums here..." #39
    I heard most of this album from the Coachella webcast first, and I remember being pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it, but, like others have mentioned, I'm not sure I'll remember it in six months. Time is On Her Side and Ran are the tracks that I definitely recognized from the webcast, while Candles could not finish soon enough.

By all rights, though, this is an album I shouldn't like at all, so it's definitely overperforming expectations.
    SEGALL/MOOTHART 2016

Originally Posted by Irving_Red
    You're right. Someone COULD murder Thissy, drive it to Chicago, and throw his flaccid corpse over the gates of Riot Fest. In that scenario you are correct, Thissy could be seen dead at Riot Fest.

Originally Posted by Byrone
    Dude shut the fuck up about jackets all of you

20. Posted in reply to TimA's post "Album of the Week - Discussion (no..." #40
    The Future Islands album sounds like a Future Islands album. That's not a knock against it by any means: I generally like a few songs on each album but everything starts blurring together after a certain point. Obviously the singles are dope. "Shadows" with Debbie Harry is pretty cool too, wasn't expecting that sort of collaboration. It's a fine album and it makes me want to go and see them when they play the Riv here in June. Is that show sold out yet? I was kind of expecting it to be by now. Get it together if it's not, Chicago.

Will put Wipers on at some point later today